The KidKraft Waterfall Mountain Train Set and Table is an interactive, fun, kid sized train set and play table furnished with over 100 well made play pieces. The table itself features a beautiful wood finish with brightly colored play pieces. Let’s take a closer look at this train set and play table.
KidKraft Waterfall Mountain Train Set – Features
- Natural finish wood table with accessories of composite wood
- Train track of solid wood – with train and vehicles
- Silk screened play surface with countryside / town background – flip table over for a normal wooden play surface
- Sturdy construction with rounded edges to prevent chipping and a 1″ lip to keep pieces falling off during play
- Set comes with 120 pieces to play with
- There are 3 storage bins that slide away under the table to store the play pieces in
- Mountain with a waterfall. Plus a tunnel going through the mountain with the waterfall (blows your mind doesn’t it?)
|See more user reviews and great pricing for this product at Amazon.com|
Exploring the Waterfall Mountain World
This wooden train set and table comes together pretty solidly. Train tracks are made from wood and the various accessory play pieces are a mix of wood and plastic. The included pieces represent construction sites, gas stations, people, vehicles, trees cars, boats and other town/country industries as well as a train (it does say train set on the box right?).
And of course the distinguishing feature of this train table – the track that runs through a tunnel that runs under a mountain with a waterfall (this is where the hero and villain fighting on top of the train both have to stop fighting and duck just in time when they see the tunnel coming up – if you can believe Hollywood movies). There is also a little bridge (that will be blown up at some point – if Hollywood again).
The play table surface has a printed play surface to put the pieces on. Lakes, runways for the airport, roads, country scenes and town areas are featured. A wonderful background for imaginative play.
All these pieces can be stored away in the three bins that hang underneath the table. Very handy when tidying up after playing.
Assembling the KidKraft Waterfall Mountain Train Set
The table comes carefully packaged with metal fittings wrapped in cardboard to prevent damage to other parts – although all wooden parts come already wrapped as well.
Setting the table up is not too difficult. Metal brackets are already fastened to all the basic pieces with the metal brackets ultimately fitting together to give the table real strength once the center cross beam and top is applied.
Getting the table set up should take roughly about half an hour. Putting together the play pieces – train tracks, buildings, bridges (and waterfall don’t forget) that goes on the silk screen landscape can take longer – getting the tracks to fit etc. (the fiddly bits). Don’t fret if everything doesn’t line up 100% with the printed landscape. It’ll be close enough for Junior not to notice (even if his Mommy and Daddy does).
You could glue the tracks together if you want to set up the train set permanently. This makes cleanup easier and the table is ready to play at all times (e.g. when mom thinks Dad’s gone down to the fridge for a midnight snack but he’s actually chooglin’ instead of chewin’).
The table has a slight lip on the play surface sides to help keep people and property from falling off during play (thus preventing pretend lawsuits).
|For more information, reviews and current pricing on this train set visit Amazon.com.|
Safety, Cleaning and Quality issues
- The table has smooth rounded edges everywhere that prevent chipping and possible injuries.
- If you so choose you can hold back some of the smaller pieces if you have very young children playing. Also keep an eye on your toddler (Junior Jnr.) if he or she likes to climb on things – the table is sturdy, but best not tempt fate (or the manufacturers warranty).
- The plastic waterfall with the tunnel isn’t held quite as securely in it’s slots as one might like – but it should stay up (just like a real mountain).
- Some people may prefer wooden drawers for storage, but the plastic bins tuck away fine under the table.
- The table can be wiped clean with soap and water – especially after children have been snacking on the table when it has been flipped over and used as a regular flat table.
Playing With the Waterfall Mountain Train Set
The set provides the perfect backdrop for hours of imaginative play (possibly even years – unless you happen to have spawned the next Jimi Hendrix and he sets the table on fire).
The table top play area is about 47 3/4 inches by 31 5/8 inches and the table top is surrounded by a half inch lip to keep proceedings on the table.
Most of the play pieces are made out of wood. This includes the little vehicles that come with the set. Wood simply has a better feel and is generally longer lasting. One sometimes sees a lot of plastic used on these sets, so these wooden play pieces are a plus in our opinion. Over 100 pieces come included when you purchase the table. These include the train and tracks, buildings, trees, people, signs, boats and cars.
When you reverse the table top it can be used as a regular flat table perfect for other activities. The 3 plastic storage bins hang from rods on the underside of the train table and are not in the way while the kids are playing on the table. These bins can be used to store Junior’s other toys too (or your little Picasso’s crayons or future Trump’s Lego’s).
Thomas the Tank Engine trains also fit on the tracks of this set (but sadly Mr Conductor won’t. And that’s about the only thing that’s wrong with being a Baldwin brother ).
The KidKraft Waterfall Mountain Train Set and table is sturdy, easy to assemble and features a beautiful wood finish with a colorful silk screened play surface. The set includes over 100 play pieces that store away neatly in 3 bins underneath the table. And it has a mountain with a waterfall that you don’t get on other sets.
Flip the table over and you’ve got a regular table that can be used for drawing, snacking or playing with other toys. Solid wood based construction and mostly wooden play pieces make this a durable and great looking train set and table.
|You can find this train set for purchase at Amazon.com.|
KidKraft Waterfall Mountain Train Set Video
Below is a little video featuring the fun this set has to offer.