The KidKraft So Chic Dollhouse is a (very) large, 3 level, 10 room, walk around, play around dollhouse. The main materials (frame, walls and most furniture pieces) are wood based.
The wallpaper color schemes together with the fresh looking wood construction and floors of this dollhouse creates an overall impression that is neither too garish or girlish (i.e. pink everywhere).
The dollhouse comes with about 50 colorful furniture pieces of it’s own. Although there are no dolls included in the deal, any doll up to 12 inches in height (including Barbie and Groovy Girl dolls) will not have to duck when going through a doorway.
Main Features of the KidKraft So Chic Dollhouse
- Composite wood frame, walls and furniture (very little plastic fantastic)
- Very sturdy once constructed – will last a long time – also big enough for kids not to outgrow it too quickly (and for small children to grow into)
- 3 different floors that are open on all 4 sides – lets in lots of light
- 2 to 4 children can play at the same time
- Almost 50 hand painted furniture pieces are included – dolls are not included (go get your own)
- Dollhouse has castor wheels on bottom – easy to move (no need to fake a back injury)
|See user reviews and current discounts for the So Chic Dollhouse at Amazon.com.|
Screwing Around with Assembly
The KidKraft So Chic Dollhouse comes with step-by-step instructions that is for the most part clearly stated and not too hard to follow.
If you have another person (preferably an adult) to help you with the build, it should take anything from 2 to 4 hours depending on your DIY skills. Power tools can cut down a bit of assembly time, but it’s perfectly do-able with a regular screwdriver and a bit of the old elbow grease. An electric drill will be handy if any of the pre-drilled holes are a bit off – it only happens here and there though on some of the dollhouses.
The center wall needs to be put in facing the right way, so take care to do this correctly before fastening it. You can search online for a picture of an assembled house and match to that if the manual is not thorough enough on all points.
Screws of different sizes needed for assembly come packaged with the dollhouse.
Getting playful with the KidKraft So Chic Dollhouse
As mentioned above, this dollhouse is nice and big. Younger kids might need a leg up to reach the top floor. The upside is that there are 3 spacious levels with rooms on both sides – so more than one kid can enjoy playing in the dollhouse at the same time. This promotes group play (and wild tea parties with Barbie and her friends).
Most dolls or figurines should have no problem feeling welcome inside the house. The cute furniture invites imaginative decorating and creative play.
Because of it’s open sided design, it is very easy to move dolls around inside the dollhouse. It doesn’t feel as cramped as some other designs and there are no dark spaces since light can penetrate the dollhouse from all sides.
The castor wheels on the bottom makes the dollhouse easy to move when desired. They will run on carpet, provided it is not too plush.
Notes Regarding Safety and Quality
- The So Chic Dollhouse itself, as well as the hand painted furniture pieces has a quality feel to it. If neither suffers extreme abuse from your youngsters (or from the Big Bad Wolf), this dollhouse could well be something that can be handed down to your grand kids one day.
- The dollhouse only comes with furniture – no dolls – but does fit most dolls. So any existing dolls or small stuffed animals should feel right at home. GI Joe’s are welcome too – just have Barbie tell them to wipe the mud off their boots first.
- This dollhouse is quite HUGE – so you’ll need enough space to put it (or make enough space). Also younger kids (younger than 5) may not be able to reach the top floor without a step stool or something else to stand on. Kids love the space and the freedom it gives them to just play.
To Sum Up
The KidKraft So Chic Dollhouse is a big, sturdy, wood-based and tastefully attractive (almost in a minimalist sort of way) dollhouse that should last a good long while.
The dollhouse comes with detailed, quality furniture, but no dolls of its own. But it does fit Barbie and any other medium sized toys or figurines (just don’t let Junior get his hands on that voodoo doll of your boss you stick those needles in).
It is relatively easy to put together and the manual decently explains the process. A durable, colorful, airy and oh so spacious dollhouse.
|Get user reviews and pricing at Amazon.com|