The KidKraft Ride Around Train Set and Table is a durable and colorful play set that comes with 100 (hand painted!) wooden play pieces including trains (of course), other vehicles and various buildings and people to populate the play surface. Train tracks are provided for both trains and other vehicles to ride around town on. There are also 2 bins that fit underneath the table for storage of all the bits and pieces.
|See what others think and get the latest discounts on this train set at Amazon.com.|
Review Summary – KidKraft Ride Around Train Set and Table
This a great train set (or regular table), with wooden construction and a detailed play surface and well crafted and finished play pieces. The set looks good and feels solid.
The play landscape offers a decent variety and a bright background for kids to have hours of fun on. The table raises playtime off the floor as well. Enough storage is provided, although in the form of plastic bins, not wooden drawers.
The play surface features a detailed melamine-coated landscape that provides the ideal setting for kids from ages 3 to 8 to play on. Lots of fun scenarios can be played out. The set is large enough for more than one child to play on it together.
All in all this is a well priced, durable and fun train set and table with a good amount of quality play pieces included in the set. A great buy.
The plastic bin drawers make for convenient storage
- Composite wood construction – sturdy, durable and not plastic
- Play surface and play pieces finished in bright, attractive colors
- Hand painted wooden play pieces – more of a quality feel than sets with plastic pieces
- Real world landscaping on play surface – construction site (with working crane piece), airport, lakes, fields, hospital and more
- Play pieces include planes, trains and automobiles – and people too (no John Candy though)
- Tracks connect easily via tongue and groove connections (tongue in groove not tongue in cheek)
- Different track pieces available – straight pieces, curved pieces and sloping pieces
- Thomas and Friends and Brio train sets will (just about) fit on the track
- Rounded smooth edges are safe for children and hard to chip accidentally (might not survive a rock star trashing the room)
- 2 storage bins to put away pieces after playing
- Set is big enough for multiple children to play on it at the same time
- When you flip the table over you have a regular flat wooden table surface to use for regular play
KidKraft Ride Around Train Set Assembly
The set is quite large and you have to have some space to put it together. Following the clear, step-by-step assembly instructions, putting the table together takes about 30 minutes to an hour. The table stands roughly 16 inches high and measures almost 49 inches long by 35 inches wide.
The set contains the Kidkraft Ride Around 100 Piece Train Set and Table parts, two-piece storage bin, hardware, Allen wrench, and instructions. You will need to have a Phillips head screwdriver handy.
The instructions for track assembly include coded pictures that show how to put the track together. You may also want to mark each track piece so that it corresponds to the code in the manual. This makes putting together and taking the track apart less confusing.
There’s a lot going on in the world of the Ride Around Train Set
Entertainment and Play
Both the play surface and the play pieces of the Kidkraft Ride Around Train Set are detailed and full of bright, fun colors.
Together the pieces and landscape form the basis to create a busy, bustling little town with a lot of different things going on.
Ambulances, doctors and fire trucks can rush to the scene of an accident (a Thomas train and a Brio train went head to head). A construction site is busy building a new Dollar store while a plane is landing at the airport. Farmers, trees and animals dot the calmer countryside. You get the idea.
There are plenty of stuff for the kids to move around and ride around with. The tracks can also be set up to go over or under one another via the use of columns and bridges.
Kids can play on this set while sitting down. If you flip the play surface over you will have a regular little wood finished table top the kids can do other stuff on like drawing (or whatever else you can think of to keep the little whirlwinds busy).
Watch the video below to get a better idea of this set!
Tips on Safety and Quality
- The composite wood frame looks and feels durable and attractive. You may have expected wooden storage drawers on the set, but the two storage plastic bins should last and are generally out of the way anyway.
- If you want you can glue the tracks together if you set up the set in a playroom permanently. The tracks do not come apart too easily though and are generally fine, unless the children try to re-enact the great train robbery.
- Some of the included train cars, and especially the Thomas Tank Engine trains, have trouble fitting underneath the little bridge. Put some thin pieces of wood or other material under the bridge pillars to lift it high enough so that there is enough headroom.
- The train-cars connect via magnets to rest of the train – sometimes they come loose during play.
This a great train set / or regular table with wooden construction and a detailed play surface and well crafted and finished play pieces. The set looks good and feels solid.
The play landscape offers decent variety and a bright background for kids to have hours of fun on. The table raises playtime off the floor as well. Enough storage is provided although in the form of plastic bins, not wooden drawers.
All in all a well priced, durable and fun train set and table with a good amount of quality play pieces included in the set. A great buy.
|View user reviews and pricing at Amazon.com|