The KidKraft Mega Ramp Racing Set is a real “fun-in-one” play set. It features a crazy, downhill all the way, toy car ramp track, sure to satisfy even the most die hard speed freaks. The ramp at the bottom will do any daring dare devil proud by launching cars high into the air. There is also a spiral ramp that runs from the 3rd floor to the ground floor, where the little wooden cars can race down at breakneck speed.
For those drivers that are a little more safety conscious, there is an elevator they can take if so inclined. In addition to this there is also a bottom floor car wash and gas station to keep things running clean and smooth. Let’s list a couple of features.
Features of the KidKraft Mega Ramp Racing Set
- The set itself and it’s accessories are mainly made of wood
- Toy car ramp track with a launch pad at the bottom to race two cars against each other
- Also features a spiral ramp that starts on the 3rd floor and runs down to the bottom floor
- An elevator takes passengers and cars to the second and third floors of the set
- Helipad on top for airlifting injured drivers. Also a handy way of finding them if they happen to land somewhere in a heap of stuffed toys – mountain rescue!
- Pushing a button makes the traffic lights at the bottom of the ramp blink from green to yellow to red, counting down to the start of the next race
- 5 wooden cars and a helicopter come with the set
|This play set is available for purchase online at Amazon.com.|
Assembling the KidKraft Mega Ramp Racing Set
Putting together the KidKraft Mega Ramp Racing Set should take about one to one and a half hours. The included manual explains the different assembly steps, but could be a little clearer on some points. Looking at the picture of a completed set on the box or online may also help when figuring out what goes where. The screws go in easily enough. The set is definitely simpler to slam together than most dollhouses.
This toy car track is about 24 x 15 x 22 inches and weighs roughly 18 pounds.
The elevator can sometimes be a bit sticky – we recommend this be lubed with some Vaseline or WD40. We don’t want to have people in cars stuck between floors in an open lift do we?
It’s Ready, Steady, Go!
This set is very interactive as far as kids play sets go. The main racing ramp will probably see the most use together with the little spiral ramp that runs to the ground floor. The elevator can also be moved up and down to move cars between the different floors. The traffic lights at the bottom cycles through red, yellow and green lights for a “ready, steady, go” countdown when activated. The launching ramp at the bottom of the main racing ramp sends cars flying off the ramp into thin air (hold on to your helmet!).
The spiral track seems sturdy and the little cars usually make it to the parking lot below without going off the sides. A launch pad that raises and lowers at the top of the ramp, makes sure that cars take off at the same time when racing.
A couple of kids can play on the set together. Two kids can race cars against each other down the main ramp and see which car flies the farthest. Another kid can work the racing lights at the bottom of the ramp or send cars up the elevator and down the spiral ramp. Or pump gas, wash the cars and work the helicopter on top to take speed ramp drivers that didn’t land on their feet (or wheels rather) to the nearest hospital.
|The Mega Ramp Racing Set is available for purchase online at Amazon.com.|
Notes On Quality and Play
- The set is recommended for age ranges starting at about age 3 and we think children up to 6 or 7 will still find this fun. A great toy car track for toddlers and older.
- Other four wheeled creatures like Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars also fit on the set (a bit of a squeeze in some places though).
- The between floors elevator can be a bit difficult to work, as it’s moved by hand instead of with a crank lever gear. Greasing it up a bit should make it easier to move.
- The launching ramp at the bottom of the main racing ramp, just sort of stands next to the main ramp and isn’t attached to it – but it works fine.
Check out the YouTube video below from a mom who bought this set. It should give you a good idea of the set in general.
Summing up the KidKraft Mega Ramp Racing Set
The Mega ramp racing set has multiple activities and levels to keep one or more kids happy. The little wooden cars whiz down the ramp with ease. Some other makes and models will also be able to fit on the two ramps. The ramps are nice and solid too. And the cars go a lot faster than those on train set tables!
Fun details like the blinking traffic lights and car wash add to the playing experience. The detailed backdrops and play pieces are also a definite plus. This set has all the right features to keep little boys (and sometimes girls) happy for hours. Mega Ramp – mega fun!