The KidKraft Large Pastel Kitchen is a wood based, pastel shaded play kitchen with plenty of storage space. It is medium to large in size and suited to little Chefs aged 3 years and older. It features all the “meat and potatoes” appliances like a microwave, a counter top stove with an oven below it and a refrigerator.
All of the appliance doors open and close and there are knobs to twist and turn on the oven and washer. This kitchen play set presents plenty of opportunities for young imaginations to get cookin’. Let’s list a couple of main features.
KidKraft Large Pastel Kitchen Features
- Durable wood based construction – doesn’t look and feel as cheap as plastic sets – should take regular use (sometimes abuse) in it’s stride
- Pleasant pastel shaded styling – certainly a sight for sore eyes
- The sink has little blue-and-pink hot and cold water knobs and the sink removes for hassle free cleaning
- Oven, microwave, washer and refrigerator doors open and close
- There are see-through plastic doors on the microwave and the oven
- The large burners of the counter top stove looks surprisingly close to the real thing
- The clock on the side has hands that can be moved – a perfect tool for teaching children how to tell the time
- There are no electronic sounds on this unit – the human vocal cords will have to substitute here
|Available online from Amazon.com|
Constructing the KidKraft Large Pastel Kitchen
When you receive the KidKraft Large Pastel Kitchen, you will find the pieces of the kitchen flat packed, with the hardware (screws,etc) and the manual in the box. The manual is written as a series of pictures showing the different steps needed for assembly. This may look somewhat strange at first for most of us used to figuring out wordy manuals often written in broken English (for you to please put part here…). Maybe pictures are a good thing though. The parts are numbered and labelled and that alone helps a lot already.
There are quite a number of parts to put together, but don’t let that put you off. The kitchen is easy enough to figure out and assemble. The different parts come labelled and are thus not too difficult to sort out. Screws come color coded. It should take the average person somewhere in the ballpark of 1 and a 1/2 to 2 hours to put this play kitchen together.
Try to work in a well lighted environment (under fluorescent lighting or in daylight). It helps if you can see what you’re doing. A regular screwdriver will work fine for assembly, but an electric screwdriver or even a screwdriver with a magnetic tip will make the assembly just that little bit easier.
The KidKraft Large Pastel Kitchen is an ideal platform for fun, creative play. Children will enjoy cooking dinners for their parents, friends or stuffed animals (don’t feed the animals!). In fact friends and family can join in the fun if they wish, since the kitchen is big enough for group play.
The set looks gorgeous and the big stove plates look very lifelike. The see through windows on the microwave and oven helps kids check on the stuffed Teddy bear they have roasting in there. There are a fridge, freezer, oven, cupboard and microwave doors to open and close to their little heart’s delight. This means there are plenty of storage space on the unit as well. There is also a cupboard above the sink.
This play kitchen doesn’t come with many accessories. Expand on the possibilities by getting a cookware play set and some fruit and veggies play sets to go with it. There is already a sink to wash the dishes and a tap to rinse the veggies under. There is also a dishwasher for those who are mortally afraid of manually washing up.
Although there are no sounds built into the unit, we don’t think that’s too much of a minus. All a child needs is a little imagination – of which they usually have plenty!
|Check online pricing and more reviews at Amazon.com|
Quick Notes on Quality
- The play set measures 42.2 x 16.2 x 42.9 inches and weighs about 83 pounds.
- The doors (if seated correctly), will work fine for a long time even with daily use.
- In the event of a part that was received damaged or a part that breaks, KidKraft customer service can be contacted for replacement parts (it usually doesn’t cost you anything). It can be ordered through their website as well.
- The water dispenser and telephone on the fridge are basically just painted on items. The clock has moving hands though – a useful educational tool for sure.
Below is a short Youtube video :
The KidKraft Large Pastel Kitchen is a well designed, durable and delightfully finished darling of a play kitchen. It is neither too big nor too small. Appealing pastel colors on the set are pleasing to the eye, yet not dull by any means.
While it may not have the electronic gadgetry of some other sets, it doesn’t really detract from the overall value that this set offers.