The KidKraft Grand Gourmet Corner Kitchen is a large (make room!), attractively finished play kitchen. Construction is mainly wood based except for parts like door handles and windows, which are made of plastic. The styling features a natural wood counter top, white cabinets and colorful detailing. It’s not all just pretty looks though. There are loads of appliances and cupboards that all open and close.
The ample amount of counter space provided houses a sink and a two plate stove top. The stove top and oven has knobs that turn and click. This play kitchen comes standard with a metal accessory set and pretty cloth curtains (pull the curtains aside to see who’s coming for dinner – hopefully it’s not the Big Bad Wolf). Let’s take a look at what this set has to offer.
KidKraft Grand Gourmet Corner Kitchen Features
- Wooden laminate board construction with plastic used on some parts
- Styling combines white cabinetry with colorful accents and wooden surfaces
- Washer, oven, microwave, refrigerator and freezer doors all open and close
- The stove, washer and microwave has thick, see-through, plastic windows that don’t look like they will break (unless you take a baseball bat to it)
- Stove and oven has knobs that turn and click
- Decent counter- and storage space is provided
- Large enough for group play
- Removable sink for quick and easy cleaning
- 4 metal cooking accessories come with the play kitchen – a pot, a pan, a ladle and a spatula – and 1 oven mitten (not metal). These hang to hand from hooks above the stove
|Get user reviews and available discount pricing for this product at Amazon.com.|
“Will someone get the phone, I got two plates going at once here!”
Setting Up the KidKraft Grand Gourmet Corner Kitchen
The KidKraft Grand Gourmet Corner Kitchen comes packaged with step-by-step assembly instructions that are easy to understand. The pieces themselves are labelled as well. The set measures roughly 36 x 12 x 36 inches and weighs around about 50 pounds. When you first lay out all the pieces it can be a bit confusing – but just work through the assembly steps one by one and you’ll get there.
The main parts of the play kitchen are composite wood board with a laminate over it. Parts like stove burners, door handles, oven door windows and the little telephone are manufactured from plastic.
It should take you about 1 and a half hours to construct the grand Gourmet Corner kitchen. Longer if you have to set it up without help. Two heads (and hands) are better than one.
The different pieces already have pre-drilled holes to aid easy set up. Getting the oven, washer and fridge doors fitted is somewhat fiddly work though. If you think you will be setting up the play kitchen permanently, you can add some glue to the main parts before screwing them down.
The phone is conveniently mounted on the fridge.
Go Stand In The Corner!
This play kitchen fits nicely in the corner of a room and provides a cosy little play space with lots of activities. It doesn’t need to be confined to a corner though – set it up wherever it suits you and your children.
The little ones can amuse themselves for hours on this set. Little Chefs will be reaching for pots and pans and rummaging in the fridge for fresh ingredients. If they run out of anything they can write it on the little blackboard on the fridge. And then use the little telephone to call the shop and have it delivered. Pronto! Then hastily take the turkey out of the oven while the dishes pile up in the sink and the milk in the microwave boils over! And don’t forget about that Chef’s hat in the washer!
There is a good amount of counter space to begin with – more than on regular sets. This means that there will actually be space on top of the counter to add more appliances like a toaster. There are plenty of space on the shelves below and in the fridge and freezer to store fake fruit and veggies. And the set is also roomy enough for more than one Chef to practice their pastry at the same time.
Yes, you can even do your washing in the kitchen.
Observations On Quality And Design
- The oven, microwave and washing machine keypads do not make sounds when pressed, but – No sounds = no need for batteries.
- The ice dispenser on the fridge is just a picture (basically an over sized fridge magnet).
- The oven door on this play set opens different from a real one i.e. sideways, instead of up and down.
- The metal accessory set is of surprising quality (don’t accidentally confuse your real pots with these)
- The appliance control pads and detailing is not the regular stickers-that-will-eventually-peel-off kind.
- The recommended age as per the manufacturer is for children from 36 months up to 12 years of age.
Last Impressions and Video look
The wooden laminate construction, wooden counter top, big silver stove plates, faucet and sink and the metal accessories make this look and feel nice and real. There is more than enough room to store toy food, but you’ll have to stock these yourself – only the metal pots and utensils come with the set.
All in all the KidKraft Grand Gourmet Corner Kitchen is a sturdy, attractive and spacious play kitchen with a lot of fun features.
For something with a little less pink in it, see my review of the Large Pastel Kitchen
|Get user reviews and great pricing for this at Amazon.com|