The KidKraft Deluxe Garage Play Set is a brightly colored wooden play set for boys (and girls). It features 3 levels of detailed backgrounds, with wooden vehicles, figurines and an elevator that takes cars and people to the first and second floors.
There is a gas pump, a convenient store and a car wash with moving scrubbers to interact with. A winding spiral ramp runs from the top level down to the bottom level on which cars can go whee!. Oh yeah, and there is a helipad on top (i.e. a 4th level) where the boss parks his Bell Jet Ranger chopper. Let’s look at some main features now.
KidKraft Deluxe Garage Play Set Features
- Most of the parts and accessories are wood based
- 360 degree open plan design – play from all sides is possible
- Detailed backgrounds that are printed on – i. e. no stickers that can come loose over time –
- Lively, colorful backgrounds with fun little details such as oil spills and tire marks
- Elevator, gas station, car wash and ticket booth for kids the interact with
- Vehicles and people are included – a helicopter, 6 cars and trucks and 4 smiling townspeople
- Cars can whiz down a ramp that goes from the 3rd to the 1st floor – stupendous fun
|View user reviews and current online pricing at Amazon.com|
Getting the Deluxe Garage Set Up And Running
Don’t be alarmed if at first it seems like there are a lot of pieces. The pieces are numbered and the directions are not too difficult to follow. You will have to have some time on hand to finish setting the set up. And of course a screwdriver as well. It should take you around an hour to put it together – try and have someone help if possible. Set up is usually easier with an extra pair of hands (and heads) to help.
Luckily you won’t have to fiddle with decals and stickers. The pieces are already finished in their respective backgrounds and details. The set measures roughly 27.2 x 15.8 x 24.8 inches and weighs about 18 pounds and once set up it is not too difficult to move around.
Grease Monkeying Around On The KidKraft Deluxe Garage Play Set
This set is particularly suited to children from the ages 3 of and up. There are 3 levels plus a helipad for children to play on and they can walk around and play on any side of the set. The spiral ramp that runs from the 3rd floor to the bottom floor is superb fun.
Kids can release cars on the top floor and watch as they whiz down to the bottom (look Ma no hands!). Screams of delight from the kids (and screams of terror from the guy behind the wheel) are sure to follow. The smaller Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars fit the ramp, but the larger and heavier ones tend to do a cliff dive by default.
The set comes with it’s own wooden cars, wooden people and a little whirlybird (aka chopper) that lands right on top of the set. On the ground floor there is a ticket booth that allows access to the garage, a gas pump for topping up the tank and a convenience store for motorists to buy crisps and cola.
Park your car in the motor lift and head on up to the second floor (gotta crank the lift i.e. add some elbow grease) where a friendly mechanic is waiting to help you with repairs. After your car is fixed get it up to the top floor where you can drive it through the car wash with it’s moving scrubbers to get all the grease and grime off the car.
Then whiz down the ramp, pump some gas, buy some beef jerky and head on out through the ticket booth – America the Beautiful is waiting.
Watch this Mom’s Video of Her Kids Playing on the Deluxe Garage Playset
Notes on Quality and Operation
- The spiral ramp could do with a higher siding – it will keep the larger toy cars (and their drivers) from falling to their deaths.
- The elevator and the car wash are a bit of a tight fit for larger Matchbox and Hot Wheels vehicles. The elevator takes some effort to work sometimes – a little WD40 may work wonders here. The included wooden cars and smaller toy cars all fit and work well with the roller coaster ramp and elevator though.
- One can glue accessory pieces like the gas pump and entrance sign to keep them in their place and from possibly going missing.
- The KidKraft Deluxe Garage Play Set does not have built-in noises. (which also means no batteries are needed!)
- The set doesn’t have any sharp corners anywhere – so pretty safe for kids to play around.
- Replacements for damaged or missing parts can be ordered directly from KidKraft – it is therefore possible to keep this set going when stuff wears out or breaks.
Is It Fun Or What?
The KidKraft Deluxe Garage Play Set is a mainly wooden, well made garage play set. The detailed scenery and accessory pieces feature bright colors and provide a stunning backdrop for cars and figurines to interact with.
The spiral ramp is the icing on the cake. It has multiple levels and kids can walk around and play around the set, which makes it easy for siblings and friends to join in the fun. This all adds up to a lively and very fun play environment.
|Read more reviews of the KidKraft Deluxe Garage Set online at Amazon.com|